PERSPECTIVE. NEW MILKY WAY GALAXY SURVEY. OPEN ACCESS. 18 JANUARY 2023. 3.32 BILLION CELESTIAL OBJECTS.
Astronomers have released a gargantuan survey of the galactic plane of the Milky Way. The new dataset contains a staggering 3.32 billion celestial objects — arguably the largest such catalog so far. The data for this unprecedented survey were taken with the US Department of Energy-fabricated Dark Energy Camera at the NSF’s Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory in Chile, a Program of NOIRLab. The survey is here reproduced in 4000-pixels resolution to be accessible on smaller devices.
- Global Population: 8 BILLION. Source: World population reached 8 billion people on November 15, 2022 according to the United Nations.
- COVID-19 Vaccines: 13.2 BILLION. Total Vaccine Doses Administered: 13,239,527,812 Source: Johns Hopkins
- Billions of Celestial Objects Revealed in Gargantuan Survey of the Milky Way. NSF’s NOIRLab releases colossal astronomical data tapestry displaying the majesty of our Milky Way in unprecedented detail 18 January 2023
- Gargantuan Astronomical Data Tapestry of the Milky Way – NOIRLab
- Billions of celestial objects captured by new survey of the Milky Way – CNN, 23 JAN 2023